Pupils need to ‘listen to a wide range of stories’ and ‘become familiar with traditional tales’, to motivate them to learn to read, and demonstrate the pleasure of it – as well as increasing their vocabulary, hearing expressive speech, and inheriting the tradition of stories that will feed their own writing. This lively course will build your confidence if you’re new to telling stories, and give fresh inspiration to those who are already practiced at it.
It’s aimed at all teachers and support staff in the primary school range, and addresses the use of stories from the youngest EYFS pupils right through to Year Six students. With a mix of inspirational stories from the trainer, and the opportunity in groups to practice storytelling in a non-threatening environment (no video cameras!), this is an ideal course for anyone who wants to give their use of stories a boost, and to refresh their present selection of favourites.
The course will cover:
- Why storytelling is important
- Choosing stories that tell/read well
- Practice in using picture books for all ages
- Gaining some easy-to-learn stories from memory
- Adding poetry and rhymes, plus ‘tasters’ of older stories
Delegates will learn:
- How to prepare stories, and make best use of the voice
- How to make stories interactive
- Practical tips from an internationally-experienced storyteller
- Sure-fire story ideas that will work in every classroom
- How to hold children’s interest, and deal with interruptions!
Delegates will leave with:
- New stories to tell straight away
- Recommendations from both trainer and other delegates
- Several handouts packed with more ideas
- Post-course support from trainer and SLS, as applicable
- Fresh confidence and re-charged batteries!
Alec Williams is a trainer, speaker, and international storyteller, whose work takes him around the UK and to over thirty countries across the world – from Argentina to Korea, from the USA to Burma. He also has wide experience of children’s books through a career in libraries, so is the ideal person for a course which shows the best of stories from books, as well as traditional tales from memory.
Alec’s performance work is with all ages of children, from Early Years to mid-teens. He uses high-energy folk stories and brilliant picture books, along with join-in poetry and drama-filled extracts from contemporary fiction.
A former Chair of the School Library Association, an Honorary Member of CILIP’s Youth Libraries Group, and one of the National Literacy Trust’s ‘Reading Champions’ for his work with boys, Alec is a frequent visitor to schools, and full of down-to-earth practical advice that will help every librarian and teacher. His training courses are rich in humour, anecdotes, extracts and examples.
primary school teachers and support staff
All of these fab publications half price until the end of the month - better snap them up quickly! #librariansofinstagram #teachersofinstagram #schoollibrary #schoollibrarian #primaryschoollibrary #primaryschool #secondaryschool #bookbargains #cpd #librariantraining #booksale #weneedlibraries See More...