16 November 2020 Share
BookTrust Represents and Waterstones Children's Laureate Cressida Cowell have started the #PassThePen campaign - a new social media campaign which aims to promote emerging children's authors and illustrators of colour by highlighting their work on Instagram.
Each day from 16-20 November, a famous face will hand over their Instagram account to one of more than 20 of the most dynamic up-and-coming creatives in the children's book world.They will be able to use the platform to introduce themselves, showcase their work and share their inspirations.
The campaign is a partnership between BookTrust Represents and Cressida Cowell, whose Children's Laureate Charter includes: 'Every child has the right to see themselves in a book.'
The full #PassThePen schedule is as follows:
Monday 16 November
• Jasbinder Bilan, author of Tamarind & The Star of Ishta (Chicken House), paired with Cressida Cowell
• Aisha Bushby, author of Moonchild: Voyage of the Lost and Found (Egmont), paired with Holly Smale
• A.M. Dassu, author of Boy Everywhere (Old Barn Books), paired with Juno Dawson
• Allen Fatimaharan, illustrator of Llama Out Loud! (Egmont) and My Hair (Faber), paired with Rob Biddulph
• Margaret Sturton, author and illustrator of A Fox Called Herbert (Andersen Press), paired with Benji Davies
Tuesday 17 November
• Hiba Noor Khan, author of The Little War Cat (Macmillan Children's Books), paired with Dermot O'Leary
• Jen Khatun, illustrator of Sona Sharma, Very Best Big Sister (Walker Books), paired with Nadiya Hussain
• Hannah Lee, author of My Hair (Faber), paired with Laura Dockrill
• Annabelle Sami, author of Agent Zaiba Investigates: The Missing Diamonds (Stripes) and Llama Out Loud! (Egmont), paired with Frank Cottrell-Boyce
Wednesday 18 November
• Kereen Getten, author of When Life Gives You Mangoes (Pushkin Children's Books), paired with Kiran Millwood Hargrave
• Onyinye Iwu, illustrator of Too Small Tola (Walker Books), paired with Dapo Adeola
• Poonam Mistry, illustrator of You're Strong With Me (Lantana), paired with Chris Riddell
• Serena Patel, author of Anisha, Accidental Detective (Usborne), paired with Robin Stevens
Thursday 19 November
• Lucy Farfort, illustrator of Afraid of the Dark (Caterpillar Books), paired with Jim Field
• Sharna Jackson, author of MICDROP: A High Rise Mystery (Knights Of), paired with Greg James & Chris Smith
• EL Norry, author of Voices: Son of the Circus: A Victorian Story (Scholastic), paired with Katherine Rundell
• Viola Wang, author/illustrator of Rabbit Bright (Hodder Children's Books), paired with Emily Gravett
Friday 20 November
• Momoko Abe, author/illustrator of Avocado Asks (Orchard Books), paired with Jen Campbell
• Sandra A. Agard author of Trailblazers: Harriet Tubman (Stripes), paired with Onjali Q. Raúf
• Rashmi Sirdeshpande, author of Dosh (Wren & Rook) and author/illustrator of Never Show a T-Rex a Book (Puffin), paired with Holly Bourne
The #PassThePen initiative comes as BookTrust Represents publishes its interim research report which shows there is still much work to be done to increase the numbers of authors and illustrators of colour working in children's books.