Dogs in space
For the Information Book Award 2019, the Overall Winner chosen by the judges was Politics for Beginners published by Usborne; whilst the children who voted for the Children’s Choice Overall Winner were in agreement with the judges – Politics for Beginners won both Overall Awards.
The winners for each age category in the Judge’s Award are as follows:
* Under 7: Hello, Horse by Vivian French and Catherine Rayner; published by Walker
* 7–12: Mary and Frankenstein by Linda Bailey and Júlia Sardà, published by Andersen
* 12–16: Politics for Beginners by Alex Frith, Rosie Hore, Louie Stowell and Kellan Stover; published by Usborne
The winners for each age category in the Children’s Choice Award are as follows:
* Under 7: Dogs in Space by Vix Southgate and Iris Deppe; published by Wren and Rook
* 7-12: When the Whales Walked by Dougal Dixon and Hannah Bailey published by words & pictures
* 12-16: Politics for Beginners by Alex Frith, Rosie Hore, Louie Stowell and Kellan Stover published by Usborne
In addition, a special commendation was given by the judges to Let’s Investigate Plastic Pollution by Ruth Owen published by Ruby Tuesday Books.
The Hachette Children’s Group Award for Outstanding Contribution to Information Books is given to an eminent UK writer or illustrator of information books for children, to mark an exceptional contribution to excellence in their field and the 2019 award was given to Marcia Williams.
Dogs in Space, Vix Southgate and Iris Deppe (Wren & Rook, 9781526360571)
Hello, Horse, Vivian French and Catherine Rayner (Walker, 9781406349948)
The Usborne Book of Night Time, Laura Cowan and Bonnie Pang (Usborne, 9781474936606)
The Atlas of Heroes, Sandra Lawrence and Stuart Hill (Big Picture Press, 9781787412606)
Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles, Patricia Valdez and Felicita Sala (Andersen, 9781783447411)
Mary and Frankenstein, Linda Bailey and Júlia Sardà (Andersen, 978178346797)
When the Whales Walked, Dougal Dixon and Hannah Bailey (Words & Pictures, 9781912413959)
Usborne Politics for Beginners, Alex Frith, Rosie Hore, Louie Stowell and Kellan Stover (Usborne, 9781474922524)
The Silk Roads: A New History of the World, Peter Frankopan and Neil Packer (Bloomsbury, 9781408889930)
Suffragette: The Battle for Equality, David Roberts (Two Hoots, 9781509839674)
An eye-catching poster to publicize the 2019 Award is available now as a PDF to download and print. It was also included in the Summer 2019 issue of The School Librarian mailed out to SLA Members.
An important part of this award is the Children's Choice Award - and we rely on votes from young people, via their librarians, teachers or carers. Buy or borrow the books, and then let us know who the children think should win.