IBA 2020 PR
In partnership with their sponsors, Hachette Children’s Group, the School Library Association announced the winners of the
School Library Association Information Book Award 2020 and
the Hachette Children’s Group Award for Outstanding Contribution to Information Books
at a virtual award ceremony on 5th November.
For the Information Book Award 2020, the judges selected the following winners for each age category:
Age 7 and under:
Heroes Who Help Us From Around the World, by Liz Gogerly and Ryan Wheatcroft,
published by Franklin Watts
Age 8 to 12:
Africa, Amazing Africa, by Atinuke (Author) and Mouni Feddag (Illustrator),
published by Walker Books
Age 13 to 16:
Black History Matters, by Robin Walker, published by Franklin Watts
The overall winner chosen by the judges was
Africa, Amazing Africa, published by Walker.
Sadly, due to pressures caused in schools by the pandemic it was not possible to establish
winners for the Children’s Choice for 2020. However, the Children’s Choice remains a vital
part of the Award, and all schools which voted will receive a certificate to thank them for participating.
The event also revealed the winner of the Hachette Children’s Group Award for
Outstanding Contribution to Information Books as
Mick Manning & Brita Granstrom –
recognising a decades-long partnership which has enlightened and delighted readers of all ages.
You are still able to use the suggested activities below for each shortlisted book which can be used in school or by parents and carers at home. Some of them would also make great activities for siblings to work on together.
* All About Feelings by Felicity Brooks, Frankie Allen & Mar Ferrero (Usborne, 9781474937115)
* Goodnight Ocean by Becky Davies & Carmen Saldaña (Little Tiger, 9781912756148)
* Heroes Who Help Us From Around the World by Liz Gogerly & Ryan Wheatcroft (Franklin Watts, 9781445165677)
* The Usborne Book of the Moon by Laura Cowan & Diana Toledano (Usborne, 9781474950848)
* Africa, Amazing Africa by Atinuke & Mouni Feddag (Walker Books, 9781406376586)
* Dictionary of Difficult Words by Jane Solomon & Louise Lockhart (Frances Lincoln, 9781786038104)
* Kids Fight Plastic by Martin Dorey & Tim Wesson (Walker Books, (9781406390650)
* Heroes by Jonny Marx & Gerhard van Wyk (Little Tiger, 9781848578739)
* Black History Matters by Robin Walker (Franklin Watts, 9781445166896)
* Feminism Is... by Dorling Kindersley, Foreword by Gemma Cairney (DK, 9780241228029)
* Hidden Planet by Ben Rothery (Penguin Random House, 9780241361009)
Longlists announced – April 2020
Shortlist announced – May half term
Winners announced at IBA ceremony – November (SLA members are invited to attend)